The Crazy Life of a Crazy Real Estate Heiress

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Mistakes

Benjamin Franklin proposed a wager with my sister when he famously said, "nothing is certain, but death and taxes," and almost 250 years later, she remains impervious to both. Unfortunately, Mr. Franklin has since fallen to the former -- before he ever paid her the gold coin they had bet!

The two met when he and a few friends were renting Independence Hall and a few of our family's other properties in the Philadelphia area. Benjamin had always been "on time" and "good for his money" my sister said, so she didn't anticipate any financial problems with him.

Some scholars apparently think that this was a posthumous prank by clever Benjamin Franklin. I know I'm crazy, and my brother's an asshole -- but sometimes I feel like my sister has no brains. I mean, knowing she's immortal, why would she make a bet with a mortal on her inability to die without getting her money up front?

And she's the one managing what used to be my wealth!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home