The Crazy Life of a Crazy Real Estate Heiress

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Sibling Rivalry

Growing up, my brother was kind of a mama's boy, and I was always a daddy's girl, leaving big sis as the independent free-spirit of the family.

Right before she died, mom was a little bit senile, and by adding a "few typos" on Mom's will, D. made herself the sole heir of that estate. Consequently, my siblings grew apart for a while, and my brother, J., even started his own renter's insurance company. He'd tease D. about how his business had never been investigated by the federal government for discriminating against handicapped people and Jews, but D. would always smile and say she loved the challenge as well as the publicity.

I remember when Dad died, in 1982; it was the worst year of my life. I lost the only family member who cared about me. My brother and sister became close again, when my sister threatened to evict our brother and his business from the Manor unless he joined her in filing petitions to deem me unable to care for myself and my property. He agreed, and I lost everything.

It's funny. When you're a kid, they tell you that you can be anything you want to be and to never give up on your dreams. When you grow up though, they send electricity through your brain and chemicals through your body for dreaming of being the personal hellicopter pilot to the Pope.

Sometimes, I'm jealous of my sister when I see her smiling at everything she's "earned." She just got a new car, and I'm stuck with one of her old Mercedeses. I guess there's sibling rivalry in every family. I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home